Getting rid of social media, one at a time


After being on almost all major social networking sites from last thirteen years I realized it's been too long for such a thing. I first learned the idea of social networking sites in 2005 and it began with Orkut in it's golden days. Lots of groups and communities which shared tons of information, old time games and scarps to each other. Lots of friends found and lost as well.
Then came facebook in 2005 and became open for all in 2006 and I joined after getting an invite. It was dull initially and Orkut was much happening and colorful. After an year or so, Airtel offered free facebook on their prepaid connection. Remember, mobile internet was really slow and not cheap at all. People suddenly started drifting towards facebook and Orkut lost it's crown. Somewhere along came twitter which I didn't understood at all, but joined anyway. Orkut got replaced by Google Plus, Facebook was on rage, Twitter was finding grounds, and I was on every one of them equally.
All this while I had been wondering how I kept going. I could see people who never made any posts from many years, never had even a single chat for ages. There were likes on my status messages and photos, comments of varied nature and often tags on posts that might make some sense, if not then bring a smile. I even met a few of my social networking friends in person and many of my classmates and colleagues were added as well.
Whenever I opened facebook or instagram or twitter,  I had an infinite scroll of information that I may or may not need. I would see a good quote and share it, someone posted a photo of themselves and I will like it, someone got married and I will write a customery Congratulations, someone made a big purchase and I will wish them well, someone fell sick and I will send my get well soon greetings and it went on.
I wondered if I really needed this. I began to form opinion which I don't need at all. The socio-political equations and negetive posts had been creeping up in mind. I had been reading few hours a day, watching what I want, doing what I like, no strings, then why it feels like eating off something from me?
I realized it quite late, and it had been information overflow I was feeling. There is too much information that I don't need, and all social networking sites are giving is truckloads of it.
Often, I had been told that how my life is a lot of happening and I have it easy all the way. I travel a lot, I write just fine, how they envy my weekend trips or wonder how I find time to read and write, how I get on edge with adventure and make enjoying life to fullest, people often asked for advise on their matters, emotional or career, and I was there for everyone. Little did they know was what they saw on my profiles. No one knows what's going on in my mind or what I am going through right now, am I fighting something I will lose or having a tough time or suffering from any terminal illness. No one gets to know.
I never got back to Whatsapp after joining it initially in 2010 on S40 Nokia device because it wasn't popular then ans when it got popular, I observed it a complete waste of time due to thousands of forwarded messages being exchanged with no limit. With facebook, it was always on and off, but from sometime I realized I an keeping it just because I want to keep. Even on Instagram, I had been doing (or atleast I think) some productive work by finding perspectives of other photographer and learn about viewpoint in different ways. It took me sometime to realize that I had been fallen in trap of gratification. My photography is improving and it has nothing to do with instagram.  All I was doing is sharing photos of food, random flowers and places I had been and liking photos of others of the same.
So finally I decided to let go of all social media one by one without declaring on any of them. There stil are some people who might care or ask what and why. Too tired to explain.
I began with Instagram, which was hardest since it captured three of my interests, photography, travel and writing. I just deactivated the account to never go back.
 Then after a week, I moved to facebook, which was relatively easy. Although, I am yet to request a download of my profile since there is some content of mine which I'd like to retain. Maybe sometime later I will activate it for a while and once archive is prepared, I will delete the account altogether. 
A few days after Facebook, I just got off from twitter. It was easiest. Just deleted the app from phone and it's gone. 
I am keeping  Goodreads, LinkedIn, Blogger, Youtube, Quora and Soundcloud as of now. It's rather easy or say time consuming to maintain these. I hope I can stay off from these forever and do something (or do nothing peacefully) for myself.

Cheers!

Comments

  1. Loved it
    You can also check my blog out
    (Www.poemsstoriesandmore.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    One Machine Learning
    One data science
    Bissi.Global

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing knowledgeable Blog Article. Keep it up.


    Thanks & Regards
    Wallpaper installation Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have shared very good information which is commendable. You continued to publish articles like this. Keep writing continue.

    Thanks & Regards
    Perth BYO Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I have been seeking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best Ive discovered so far.
    I just added your blog to my blogroll, I hope you would give some thought to doing the same.
    Is it alright to reference some of this on my page if I include a backlink to this site?
    Soft Trending

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and a highly interesting post to stumble at on this awesome blog. Never post some input only now just could not resist .
    Great and an very facinating post to check on this awesome blog! Almost never write any replies only now i just did not resist
    To the point and written well, thanks for the info
    softtrending

    ReplyDelete
  7. Removal Check it out, start a hairless Life
    and the marketplace of ideas onthe internet.
    Enjoyable post I tend to be of the same mind with most of what you wrote. I would love to see more posts on this. I will bookmark and come back.

    Brother Ink Cartridges

    ReplyDelete
  8. TY a ton for posting this, it was unbelieveably informative and told me a lot
    TYVM, wonderful job! This was what I needed to know.
    Wmakosladdilik cna training Damsnrmaskei
    600 high authority UK directory submission and 400 search engine submission

    ReplyDelete
  9. well.
    Just discovered this site through Bing, what a pleasant surprise!
    Sarah Berger

    ReplyDelete
  10. lot good source like this.
    Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! shopbymark
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.
    Ive been making an attempt to Gain entry to this web site for a while. I used to be utilizing IE then once I tried Firefox, it labored just effective? Just wanted to Sarah Berger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice article post !!! For various historical Indian events Click Here For Visit this Site thanks ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting this, it was unbelieveably informative and helped me a lot
    Thank you, nice post! This was the thing I needed.
    sodium hypochlorite amazon
    china air purifier
    korean air purifier brands

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice points there. I did a search on the matter and found most people will go along with with your blog.
    I believe one of your commercials triggered my browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist.
    Hi! I found your amazon hydrogen water
    consumer reports hepa air purifier
    rensair air purifiers cost

    ReplyDelete
  15. An Indian Restaurant & Takeaway in Croydon. We serve a wide range of delicious Asian & Indian food. We offer online ordering and table booking.For reservation call 02036678566


    adeenaskitchen.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. An Indian Restaurant & Takeaway in Croydon.
    We serve a wide range of delicious Asian & Indian food.
    We offer online ordering and table booking.
    For reservation call 02036678566." www.adeenaskitchen.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

तेरे जाने का हुआ मुझ पर ऐसा असर,

Are We Connected: Diary pages #4: Harshita Shrivastava

Are We Connected: Diary pages #3: Preeti Singh